The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.
- St. Augustine.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Longing to volunteer

I arrived to Paris a week ago. It is my first time visiting this city, and I must admit that it is truly beautiful and the quality of life here is high. I also am thrilled to practice my French; its my favorite language to speak!

At the same time, I am impatient to make enough money so that I can travel and volunteer again, especially since I am now interested in the healthcare industry and I have approximately 9 months to decide whether I will apply to Mount Sinai's Medical Humanities. I read a book about the founder of Partners in Health, a healthcare nonprofit based in Boston and serving the poor in countries such as Haiti, Peru, Rwanda and Russia, and I am interested in volunteering in Chiapas, Mexico for a bit. I have already received two opportunities to volunteer as a teacher in Ecuador and Kenya, but now that I am interested in global public health, I feel that this time is crucial to test out the waters in that field. I already know that I enjoy working in education and community development, but I am really excited about healthcare. Healthcare is a basic need and an universal right; it comes before education.

Anyway, I can't write a post without thinking about my readers. For cash strapped, intellectually curious, vagabond travelers such as myself looking for a place to stay in Paris for free, I recommend going to Shakespeare & Co., an old bookstore that has housed famous penniless authors and travelers for half a century. I will live amongst the bookshelves, work two hours a day at the shop, and read a book a day for a month.

Also, for those interested in volunteering in Thailand, I found a remarkable database for not only free opportunities, but opportunities that offer accommodation and food besides! Gotta love the Thai people. Here it is - so get out and go volunteer, people!

2 comments:

  1. hey ani,

    i was wondering why you've been so much traveling,
    one minute in south america another in euro.
    and then i checked the info page on your fb thoroughly tonight (this morning).

    and came across your blog!
    i actually have no point behind this

    except, i hope you're well.
    and i'm glad to see you traveling the world.

    have fun, stay safe.
    -sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see this comment until too late - I hardly get comments here lol! Thank you Sean. That means a lot to me. See you in NY.

    ReplyDelete