The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.
- St. Augustine.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Galapagos!

Woohoo, I got the long term volunteer stint in the San Cristobal Islands of the Galapagos! I think I will commit to three months. I am really excited to live in a rural community and teach English, especially since I just returned from a rural town outside of Cusco called Pisac and wished that I could have stayed longer. I have never lived in a small village before, so I want to challenge myself and also help people who do not have all the opportunities that cities can offer.

The organization in the San Cristobal Islands is called New Era Galapagos Foundation and it is very simple to apply to be a volunteer. It is free to volunteer with them, and they can arrange host families to live with or you can live with other volunteers for free. At least intermediate ability in Spanish is required, and a long term commitment is preferred. In just two days, the volunteer coordinator responded to me by email and asked me when I would arrive, how long would I volunteer for, and attached a welcome letter to volunteers.

I am not sure yet of my dates - since I haven't bought plane tickets and I would really like to find a good deal - but I think that I would like to volunteer during their summer, from January to March. Time to put Quito and Guayaquil on my FareCompare ticker!

No comments:

Post a Comment